Saturday, September 22, 2012

Review: NYX Shine Killer!

I have super oily skin and every new primer that promises to keep oil in bay, I end up hauling. Someone would describe my situation desperate. That's what it is, or used to be for a long time. I now have, after 10 years of fighting back, accepted my oil issue. However, I still seek for help in products that promise shine-free face for the whole day. I don't know why because anyone with oily skin knows that there is no such thing as an oil-free day but yet I keep on throwing money around to see if this time it would be different. Do I sound bitter? :)

NYX is my favourite drugstore brand. I love the combination of great quality and low price. You just can't beat that. NYX came out with a new primer called Shine Killer and I was thrilled! Something cheap to help me with my slicky-face problem?






The first time I used Shine Killer, filled with excitement, I thought it looks like a regular, clear silicone based, primer. It applied really nicely on my skin and made it feel smooth and matte. But I also secretly thought "that's it?". It felt like a normal primer but nothing else. It didn't feel like a primer that's meant to prevent shine. And unfortunately, it didn't. My face started to look oily after about 30 minutes. After two hours my makeup looked like if I never even used a primer and needed a serious touch up. Shine Killer failed me big time. I wanted to give it a chance and used it for two weeks but it didn't start to work. I even felt that it was easier to apply my foundation without the primer. With mineral foundation the situation was no different, my makeup looked better and lasted longer without the primer.

The tube is also quite small, it has 20ml / 0.67 fl. oz of product. You don't need much but 20ml is just not enough for a face product. I paid around 13$ for mine at Cherry Culture. I now will stop buying primers that don't work and go back to Urban Decay De-slick in A Tube matifying gel. It works :)

This time NYX let me down but one product is not going to change my mind about NYX, it's still my favourite :)

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment