Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Review: NARS Sheer Matte Foundation in Siberia!

I love and adore my mineral foundation but from time to time I want to try something else. I'm always looking for liquid foundations that are light enough for me and NARS actually has one! NARS Sheer Matte Foundation has a pretty wide color range and the lightest one, Siberia, really is light enough for the palest like me. Here's my review on Sheer Matte Foundation.



I read some good and some bad reviews before getting this and hoped it would be great since it had a shade light enough for me. I had my hopes high! I love the NARS packaging, it's very sleek and the glass bottle is just simple and pretty :)



Siberia is the lightest shade and I'm happy to say that it really is light! All the pale girls know that most drugstore brands don't carry shades for the fair skinned and sometimes it's frustrating. But Siberia really is light and the best part is that it's not pink at all. It's pretty neutral.



You can buy a pump separately for the bottle but I don't have it. I really suggest you do get it, without the pump it's pretty hard not to waste product. If you pour it straight from the bottle too much product comes out. It also gets a bit messy.





What about the foundation then? I've had some varying experiences so far.

This is what NARS says on their website:

An oil-free, soft matte-finish foundation with sheer, buildable coverage that controls oil and shine throughout the day. Replete with skincare benefits and the NARS Complexion Brightening Formula, skin is more luminous, softer and smoother.
Used daily, Sheer Matte Foundation improves skin brightness, radiance and texture. For normal to oily skin types. (link here)


Well, it doesn't control oil but that I didn't really expect. I don't believe that any foundation can do that, you need a good primer and a setting spray to do the job. The coverage really is sheer, this is propably light to medium. Because the foundation dries pretty quickly, building the coverage is quite challenging. To me it can look a bit nasty if you try to achieve good coverage with this. It's supposed to be sheer so Sheer Matte does not cover up my acne scars or redness. It does even out my skin though but to me that's about everything it does. Does my skin look luminous? I'm white as a sheet, do I really need to look more luminous than that? I don't really see Sheer Matte delivering in that area :)

To me the most difficult part is the application. This one is really hard to apply! I've tried everything. A synthetic brush. A synthetic blush brush. A sponge. A wet sponge. My fingers. It's pretty hard to apply evenly! With a primer it gets easier but still I'm not happy with the result. It just doesn't look good on my skin and I don't get the idea. Why is it like this? I've tried many foundations and even the most poor ones apply pretty easily. Is my skin too oily for this or what is it? I really don't know but I'm pretty sure it's me because so many people love this foundation and it works great with their skin.



Here it looks nice and smooth but once applied on my face...not so pretty.



To me Sheer Matte is too difficult to use. It takes up a lot of time to make it look even close to nice. But it's not completely useless, I use Sheer Matte mixed with another, a full coverage foundation and it works great like that! Sheer Matte didn't work for me but reading so many good reviews I can't help thinking that I'm doing something wrong. Any tips for application?

Thanks for reading!

8 comments:

  1. It looks great, I've heard wonderful things about this foundation. But sadly my skin is SUPER pink and this looks bright yellow on me :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well yes, it does look a bit yellow here but on me it looks pretty neutral. They don't have a light shade with pink undertones, apparently :(

      Delete
    2. I'm a very fair redhead. The second shade, Mont Blanc, is still guite pale and it's got pinker undertones than Siberia.

      Delete
  2. Great review x x lovely blog xx only just found you xx would you like to follow each other on GFC and bloglovin xx leave a comment in my blog and I'll be sure to follow back xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. For application, the best I've used is the expert face brush from Real Techniques (you can buy online from their website if not available in-store in Finland). As you noted above, the foundation does dry so quickly and so you do need the pump so you can pump out small amounts each time.
    It is the most natural looking foundation I own, alongside Urban Decay Naked Skin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't tried the Sheer Matte yet but I have the Sheer Glow foundation in Siberia and I find it works best mixed with moisturizer. If I put it on by itself it's too sticky and difficult to blend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the same issues on not being able to blend this out at all.. I have used the BB, Fingers, brushes primer/no primer and getting no where fast.. so this just sits in my collection with other foundations that are not suitable. Shame as I REALLY wanted this to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, I tried everything and could not get it to work. I got tired of mixing it up with something else...Yes, such a shame because this shade would have been perfect!! I ended up getting rid of it because mine was also sitting in my collection for a long time. So sad :(

      Delete