Thursday, February 9, 2012

Coastal Scents brush haul + review!


When it comes to brushes I've always invested more on quality face brushes. Now that I'm more into eye shadows again I wanted to add some things to my brush collection but didn't want to spend a fortune on them. I turned to Coastal Scents because actually my most used brush for contouring is by CS and I love it. So I got a few eye brushes but of course I fell for the Pink Kabuki too :)



But let's start with a face brush. Destiny Kabuki On A Stick is a natural bristle medium size kabuki with a long handle. I got it for blush and it's perfect for that! It's pretty tense and applies blush like a dream. It's not the softest blush brush I have but I really like it. It was only $5,95.



I got three of their new eye brushes, this one is a Classic Shadow Large brush with natural bristles. It really is large! It's too large for my eyes so I've used it on my face for highlighting. It's soft and the handle part feels sturdy. Really nice for $2,49. Only the big size cought me by surprise. Looks a bit shabby on the picture but I haven't seen any shedding.



The Classic Shadow Medium brush is great for eye shadow application, I use it to apply color all over my lid. Still the size is a lot bigger than I would have thought! It's soft and tense. I like it. Paid $2,49 for it.



This Classic Shadow Dome brush ($2,99)with natural bristles turned out to be quite big too! I thought I could use it for small detail work in the crease but I find it too big for that. I have to say that I'm used to smaller brushes, someone else might find this to be the perfect size! It's actually great for smudging darker shadow close to the lash line. It's tense but still soft.



This Pro Blending Fluff brush has turned out the be my favourite. Perfect for blending or applying color in the crease area. It's soft and just works great! $3,95 only :)



Precision Detail brush ($3,95) is perfect for detail work like adding color in the lash line or tear dot. I find it a bit scratchy though if you point it directly but it gets the job done nicely!



I wanted to get the Destiny Precision Angled Liner Brush for the Gel Liner, I didn't have this type of angled liner before. It's synthetic and I have washed it couple of times and the few bristles that is has are still the same, no shedding. Great liner brush and cheap, $2,19. I really love a bargain :)



This super lovely Pink Kabuki ($4,95) is the cutest one ever. It's also probably the softest kabuki I've ever owned. It's just the perfect size for blending out blush or contour lines. I love it!





I also got a Gel Liner in True Black since I've heard a great deal of good things about it. But unfortunately it was dried out. I got a refund from Coastal Scents, so that was really nice of them.



All and all I'm very pleased and happy with my order, I like all the brushes. I have to get another gel liner though, I think I'll go with Inglot, I've read some great reviews.

Thanks for reading!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post! I want to try their new brushes but it's difficult to see the size of their brushes - I too, prefer smaller brushes so I think I will try the Classic Detail Round or Blender Pointed from their new collection instead. I just placed an order for a few brushes including the Destiny Kabuki on a Stick to use for blush so I'm glad it works for you! I own the Pro Blending brush and it's comparable to the MAC 217 which I also own. Coastal Scents now has their old brushes on clearance and that Pro Blending brush is now on sale for 50% - I just stocked up and purchased 2 more of those! If you have access to Physician's Formula, you should try their gel liners that come in stacks - they're fantastic and you get 3 colours for less than $10.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! Unfortunately we don't have Physician's Formula here in Finland :( They have some pretty blushes I'd like to try! Thanks for the tip though. And I must check out the whole new range of brushes from Coastal Scents, they only had come out with few when I placed my order! I'm glad you got the Kabuki on a Stick, it applies blush really like a dream :)

      Delete
  2. Great review. I was thinking about getting some of those brushes.

    Caitlin
    xoxo lusted

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! I've been using the brushes a lot and so far I've been very pleased. The pink kabuki is the softest ever and I think I need to order another with some of the new brushes they have come out :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the review, I'm debating on which brushes to purchase from Coastal Scents. I already have the Pink Kabuki in my cart (your review helped!). I wanted to know if the Classic Shadow Dome brush you have was scratchy or not? Is it good for applying eye shadows in the crease?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pink Kabuki is a must :) The Classic Shadow Dome brush is super soft, not scratchy at all. I've used it to apply crease color but I think it's too big for detail work, in my opinion. We all have our own ways of applying eyeshadow :) But a nice quality brush!

      Delete