Monday, November 1, 2010

Review: The Body Shop Aloe Protective Restoring Mask

I wanted to review this skin care product that I've been using for the past few months.

It's the Aloe Protective Restoring Mask by The Body Shop.



I got it on sale, I paid 10€ for it but it usually retails for about 18€. So I think it was a pretty good deal! The mask comes in a jar of 100ml / 3.3 oz.

I got this thinking it would replace my all time favourite, the Herbina's Moisturizing Mask.

On with the review!

First, the packaging. The jar is not hygienic at all! You have to dip your fingers in it and even with disinfected hands you can have bacteria in the jar and it cuts down the time the product inside is safe to use. The colors of the packaging are very neutral and just...plain. You can't be mistaken, this is a product for sensitive skin for sure! A bit boring, I'll say.

This mask claims to strengthen skin's natural barriers with prebiotics ingredients. I had to look up what these prebiotics actually mean. Sounds so fancy! But wait. PRObiotics are supposed to strengthen your immunity system with a mix of good bacteria. Aloe vera is a PRObiotic ingredient. But it's not a PREbiotic ingredient. Prebiotic means a slightly different thing. I think a bit of a mistake has been made here! But anyways, Aloe IS supposed to strengthen your skin's natural barriers.

Because this mask is for sensitive skin it doesn't have any perfumes or parabens. It does seem to have silicones though. It has a medicine type of smell, it is quite neutral I would say.



The mask is quite thick and it takes a while to absorb into the skin. The salesperson suggested I leave it on for a 15 minutes, but I've had it on for up to 1 hour. Still after that I've had quite a lot of product on the surface of my skin left. My skin felt calmed and moisturized after using it. The next morning my skin looked radiant, but not as radiant as after using my Herbina mask. After that my old acne scars have faded a little but I haven't noticed that with Aloe Protective Restoring Mask.

About the skin's natural barriers, I really couldn't find any visible evidence of that. Yes, my skin felt moisturized and calmed but I don't really know about my...barriers.

One thing that made me go back to Herbina it that this mask breaks me out. I mean big time. My acne has been under control for some time now, thanks to Clinique's 3-step system and good moisturizers but every time I use this I break out like no tomorrow! That's too bad because this seemed like a really good product!

Here's the INCI for those who are interested:



As you can see, aloe, which is known for its healing qualities, is the first one on the list. Glycerin and pentylene glycol (both moisturizing ingredients) are also in the top the list, so I thought this would be a great moisturising mask. There is just something that breaks me out! I think it's the oils or the silicones. My skin usually can take the silicones pretty well. Too bad, according to the INCI list this looks like a very efficient mask!

Anyway, this may work on most of the skin types (I think we just excluded oily skin), so I would anyway recommend this even though it broke me out. If you have sensitive or dry skin, I think this could work very well as a moisturizing mask! Let's just forget the natural barriers. I have acne prone oily skin, so maybe the oils were just too much for me. It can't be the aloe, can it...?

No comments:

Post a Comment